I spent 16 hours on campus today. Ridiculous eh? It was 11:30pm, I was sitting on the 4th floor of the library (you know, just over by the children's literature mural? the one with the lion and dinosaurs and the kid with a walking stick poking a skull on the ground?) rapidly finishing up my online mastering chemistry assignment that was due by midnight. I got it done just in time for the usual wake-up-and-get-your-butt-out-of-the-library music to come on at 11:45pm. For four of the last seven years I have heard everything from Duel of the Fates from Star Wars to If I Had a $1,000,000 by Barenaked Ladies as I walked out of the HBLL. Tonight I'm walking home in some sort of weird existential state. As I walk past the beautifully terraced square in front of the monstrous JFSB I can't help but recant my many desires to "get out of here as fast as I can". I slow my pace a little and take it all in. I don't care who you are or what color you bleed, you can't refute the fact that BYU campus is pretty. Very pretty. I can see the "Tree of Wisdom" statue glowing in the moonlight as I walk toward what is known as the "Fishbowl" of the Benson Chemistry building (another favorite study place of mine). Now i'm walking down the South Campus stairs. I can hear the peaceful stream behind me as I descend to the newly-renovated duck pond. I can barely make out the figures of those notoriously mischievous ducks enjoying the quiet of the night. Finally, I reach my car. Its the only one in the parking lot. Thats a good feeling. Many of you know the feeling. Its the feeling that you know you just outlasted all the other peeps who parked there that day. Its the feeling of getting into your car and knowing that you just studied your brains out and are that much better for it. Yeah, thats a good feeling. As i'm driving away from BYU, it hits me in the stomach....i'm hungry. I might as well stop by Wendy's on the way home. Dang, I think i've eaten more today than I did this whole past weekend. Thats a good feeling too, though. It means your brain is using up massive amounts of glucose. It means that tonight you are the Ironman of Academia.
Today, I finished my chemistry midterm, I walked down the stairs of the largest college testing center in the nation, opened the door and looked for my number on that screen. I've done it probably at least 100 times now. You know what i'm talking about. That moment of intense anxiety as you check and double check to make sure that the score next to your ID number is correct. Yes, it took a long time, but I can say that my score has had an "Awesome!" next to it. Its a far cry from my 13% on one of my tests from freshman year. (Let's just say that if you took my GPA now and divided it by my freshman GPA you would get a number a lot closer to 2 than 1)
A week from today I will take my last exam ever at BYU. The time is ripe. I don't quite belong here anymore. I'm the last of the Mohicans. All my friends have moved on. I've had my fun. You ask anyone close to me and they will tell you that I definitely have had my fair share of fun. :)
I walk into what will be my last course of my BYU education, Music 101(a GE I postponed til the very end). As I sit there I watch the band-spanking-new freshmen walk in. This one kid is wearing gym shorts with a button up shirt and last year's EFY lanyard, his face is peppered with acne, he has a lost look on his face although its the end of the term and he's been doing this for 7 weeks already. I watch as he scopes out where exactly he's going to sit, who is having the best conversation, which girl can he sit next to that will wait for him while he goes on his mission.... They are so fresh. I'm not. I've been where they are. I've done everything they are going to do. Its my time to peace out. It feels right. I feel good.
So here is my Ode to the school that took in a punk teenager when it probably shouldn't have. Here's to the school that beat me into academic submission, nurtured my maturity (because we all knew it was only going to happen by a miracle from God), helped me grow spiritually (even though i'd still rather watch paint dry than go to a group FHE), and introduced me to a group of friends i'll never forget. Here's to golfing off of Heritage Halls, saran-wrapping a Canadian, eating frosties with pickles, watching Jimmer make 3-point shots from past half court, Mona, road-trips to Vegas, staying up all night and then winning our basketball game by pounding monster drinks (not recommended), playing bball against Aaron (its always an adventure), Lodge 29, arguing with towing companies, doughnuts in the parking lot with Dusty....when there is no snow on the ground, hot springs in Midway, bubbles! (Ken), sneaking in to play basketball in the MTC gym, sleeping over in front of the Wilk doors for textbook buyback, throwing TVs and monitors off the balcony, baking bacon naked (definitely not recommended!), sledding without shirts, restraining Joan from trying to touch Abouo's butt, true blue football, hiking the Y, nutty putty caves, Walmart (in EVERY sense of the word), All-American Rejects and second-hand high, eating Bertie Bott's every flavor beans and almost throwing up (Dave, i'm gonna drop a soap one in your food next time i see you), NCMO (everyone had to try it once...right?), rolling golf carts, Halo parties, riding Emily as hard as she likes to be ridden (that one's for you Dusty), dry ice bombs, every possible intramural sport, turf-burn, barbecue sauce, bowling in the Wilky, Imagine Dragons, turning on all the water in the apartment when your roommate wants to conserve water (poor Glen), roommates with green socks....that were originally white, and most importantly here's to meeting my best friend and eternal companion (love ya YLT).
Yes, tonight I'm proud to be a cougar. Tonight and forever I'll bleed True Blue.
Esse quam videri.
No comments:
Post a Comment